Culture Fact: Entering Homes in Japan

There are many differences between America and Japan, even down to what you do when you enter someone else's home. In America, when you go into someone's house, it's always after they invite you in. When they do so, you say "thank you", and in you go. A majority of the time, that's all there is to it.

In Japan, there are a couple set phrases that precede your entering of the house. The first of these phrases should be said by the one being invited into the house. So once your host officially invites you in, this first set phrase is what should be said:
お邪魔します・おじゃまします
(oh - ja - ma - shi - ma - su)
This phrase literally means "I'm intruding" or "I'm being bothersome." It is used to tell your host you're accepting their invitation to come in. Once you have stepped through the threshold, your host will then respond by saying this:
はい、上げってください・はい、あげってください
(ha - i, a - ge - te ku - da - sa - i)
This literally means "Yes, please step up." It's equivalent to how we say "Come on in" in America. The reason they say this phrase is because you do actually have to step up into Japanese homes. The genkan, or entrance, is usually slightly lower than the rest of the house. This is where you take your shoes off and trade them for slippers to wear in the house.

These phrases aren't usually practiced in class. I first learned them after watching Terrace House (of all shows), and after I did some research I realized this is the standard. I wish I had known that before going to Japan, especially since I did stay with a Japanese friend and her family while I was there. So if you're going to Japan and are staying with a host family or going to visit some friends, or if you're just going over to a friend's dorm or house, I recommend giving these a go. 

Comments

Popular Posts