The Japanese Student and "Jouzu"

If you're learning Japanese, you know exactly what I'm talking about. We hear it all the time. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term "jouzu", allow me to explain.

The word "jouzu" (上手・じょうず) usually translates to "skillful" or "good at (something)". It is used when describing someone else's skill. One of the rules with this word is that you are not supposed to use it to describe your own skills, as it makes you seem a little arrogant. The word itself has become a bit of a running joke among students and here’s why.

Here in America, it can be very difficult to find an opportunity to use your Japanese in a real-life setting. Most of our practice comes when we talk with our Sensei and classmates, with the occasional text conversation with Japanese friends. When that rare moment occurs where we find ourselves conversing with a native Japanese speaker, we get really excited, but also really nervous. This causes us to stumble over our words and we don't always make complete sentences, or we leave out or mix up a particle. We know we're not speaking perfectly, and we don't always understand the responses we get. But the one word we hear clear as day? "Jouzu."

I want to establish that this isn't a snarky remark and there's not any unkind meaning behind it. Japanese people will always say “jouzu” when you start speaking to them in their native language. Their faces light up and the biggest grin will appear on their faces. Instantly, you feel really good about your skills and you do your best to keep up in a conversation. What I've come to learn is, they're not always saying it because we're actually speaking well. "Jouzu" seems to take on more of a meaning of appreciation. Japanese is not as common to learn as European languages or Chinese, so Japanese people are usually very happy and impressed that someone took to the time to at least learn a little bit of their language. The word they tend to use to show this excitement is "jouzu". While for a beginner, hearing this word can make you feel really good about your language skills, once you start to learn more and speak more, it's hard to gauge how well you are actually speaking. The question then becomes when do you stop being "jouzu" and start being considered "good" or “fluent”?

Honestly, it's hard to tell sometimes. In my experience, when I tell people how many years I've been learning Japanese (which is coming up on ten), that's usually when they stop saying "jouzu" as much as they normally do and start helping me correct my sentences. Sometimes I'd say something and then ask if I was saying it correctly. Then they would correct anything I said wrong or words that I left out. That's how I got around "jouzu" my first five or so years of learning Japanese, and I still do it now. The word that I strive to hear now is “pera pera” (ペラペラ), which is how you would describe someone who is fluent in a language. Once I hear someone say “pera pera”, I know I am speaking well enough and am able to keep a conversation going.

For those who find themselves confused when you hear “jouzu” and don’t know whether or not you said something correctly, my advice would be to always ask if you're saying what you want to say correctly. Japanese people are usually happy and willing to help you when you stumble. I am very appreciative when people help me and I honestly love being corrected because it helps me learn a more natural way of speaking instead of textbook Japanese. Just keep asking for advice when you talk to people and they will help you. The minute you hear someone say "pera pera" all the "jouzu" confusion will have been worth it. 


Comments

Popular Posts